meeb

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Library Databases

OK. Explored the databases and I am impressed. I had always been impressed with Ebsco host. If any one remembers those reader's advisory things we had in high school...those tiny print, coded little paperbacks with magazine articles listed. First of all you had to find the subject you wanted and what magazine it was in and then hope that the library actually had the magazine, the issue and that the page hadn't been torn out. Just imagine all that work! I have always loved being able to tell people about Ebsco when they were looking for non-book and non-internet sources for their papers!
I got on the Heritage thing from home and at first thought it was full of it because I put in one of my ancestors in the census search and they didn't show up and I knew they were here during because they are in the census books they have here. But despite that I did find out that some of my family from the 1700's were Polks ala Polks Station here in Nelson Co. and that one of the women was captured by Indians and had a child born in Detroit while a captive.
I got on the Auto Repair thingie and saw that I really should have looked up the VW beetle for recalls and service bulletins before I bought the damn thing.
I explored Novelist and was really impressed. Who needs books when there is so much to read about books! And authors! I thought Ludlum and LeCarre would be read-alikes. Boy was I wrong. The YA book award lists are extensive too so if you are looking for a good YA book, try those lists too.
Thanks for making us do this Emily! It was an eye-opener!

No comments: