meeb

Thursday, November 16, 2006

First blog for the prize

Hi, I'm Carol and I'm doing this as an assignment for the library. Emily, our new "techie" has made certain (mostly self-paced) assignments for all the librarians to learn some of the new features available on the web. This is the first on the list and I hope it will prove to be fun. I'm not sure if anyone ever reads these things. I can't imagine surfing the net just to read the flotsom that comes out of people. But just in case somebody does read this stuff, I suppose I should write something that some one would find interesting if they did happen to read it. I work at a small library in Kentucky. All you big city folks can just stop right there but most of the country knows that all of us who work at librarys aren't at the NY City Public Library. Our population in the county is somewhere around 40 thousand and the main town is around 9000. I think we have a good library considering our size. We are building a new library and hope it will be finished at least by the 1st of March 07. The building we are in now was built in 1914 or so and was built as a post office. It is a pretty building but too small and impractible. It is on the court square and very convenient to downtown (all 4 blocks of it). Our town has one of those old courthouses that sits in the middle of the street and everyone has to drive around it in a circle. Quaint but confusing to many. What I do at the library are as follows: Work the main desk, plan programs and collection development for Young Adults (with the help of the afore mentioned Emily - she's more than 1/2 my age and much closer to the target audience) and programming for adults. I'm also the facilities go-to person and one of two assistant directors. I have worked at the library for 9 years and very much enjoy my job. It isn't really a job job. It is what I do. I do have a life outside the library...I'm married, have kids who have moved away from home and like to be creative whether by doing something to the house, painting, gardening or whatever. I do read quite a bit but tend toward the less popular works, i.e. not Danielle Steele or Nora Roberts. Right now I've picked up the book "Truck, a love story" by Michael Perry. It is so funny. I love this guy and the way he thinks. Where was he when I was 39? I suppose that is long enough for a blog post...I haven't really checked into these to see what folks do on them but I guess they are as individual as the bloggers. At least I hope so, I would hate for this to be just one of those "in style" things that if you don't do it like everyone else you are considered hopeless. So there it is!

No comments: